Uploading Your Web Pages
Uploading files to your EdgeWorld account is quite easy. You only need to learn a few simple techniques and you will be able to add any files you want to your site.
Your web pages and CGI scripts can be produced on your local machine and then the finished product can be uploaded to your account. You can also download any of your existing files. This will allow you to make changes on your local PC, then reload the files to your account.
Here are the steps you need to take:
Those are the basic steps to upload your web pages. If you choose to use WS_FTP or Fetch as your FTP client, please refer to our FTP instructions.
- You will need an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client for your local machine. There are a number of free and useful FTP clients available on the Internet. If you are using a Windows based PC, WS_FTP by Ipswitch is quite useful. Mac users can try Fetch. Or, you can use a search engine such as Yahoo! or WebCrawler to search for 'FTP client.'
- Connect to your account via FTP using the login id and password you specified when you ordered your account. Do not login as anonymous, because you will not have access to the directories and files you need.
- When you login to your site, you will be at your home directory. This is the same directory you find yourself in when you telnet to your site.
Here you will find home.html. This is the default page that comes up when you enter 'http://www.yourname.com' on your browser. You may upload your web pages here, or into any subdirectories you have created.
- Be sure you FTP all your HTML files (.HTM, .HTML, .SHTML), text files (.TXT), and CGI script source code in ASCII format. Image files (.GIF, .JPG or .BMP), sound files (.MID, .WAV), executable files (.EXE) and archive files (.ZIP, .TAR) must be FTP'd in BINARY format.
- If you FTP a file called test.htm to the home directory, it can be accessed by the address http://www.yourname.com/test.htm
- If you create a directory called docs within your home directory, and FTP a file called info.html to that directory, it can be accessed by the address http://www.yourname.com/docs/info.html
- If you want to change the default page that comes up when you enter http://www.yourname.com, upload the new file to your home directory and rename it to home.html.
If you experience any problems or have further questions, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Home | Services | Support | Order an Account | Client Sites | About EdgeWorld